Freaky

Jun 30 2011 Published by under Uncategorized

Today I received an invitation in my email to attend this local event:

" ... a multi-disciplinary artist with Tourette's Syndrome residing in the Philadelphia area, will be collaborating with a local dance theater, transforming vocal and motor tics into exuberant and avant garde choreographic and theatrical sketches. Combining the compelling language and movement of Tourette's Syndrome with the intensity of dance will give viewers an eye-opening perspective on this disorder."

The performance is to be followed by a local neurologist giving a scientific presentation about Tourette's and other movement movement disorders.

As someone with Tourette's, and with all due respect to the artist, I don't think this is "avant garde", this is fucking ridiculous. Why do people think that folks with unusual disorders need to be "interpreted"? I mean, why not have an event with interpretive dance about hemorrhoids followed by a presentation by a proctologist? These kinds of things only serve to make us seem more like an "other", like outsiders, instead of just regular people leading regular lives. If the goal of this event is to raise awareness, it fails miserably. Rather it makes us look like fucking freaks.

• PalMD says:

Excellent point, although one could argue that each person with a particular neurological or other quirk must go about understanding it in their own way.

But it is hard to know where interpretive art and bearded lady diverge.

• Yael says:

I have demonstrated gene locus extrusion (to my lab) using interpretive dance.

• DrugMonkey says:

What is wrong with bearded ladies Pal?

• Julian Frost says:

As a blogger with Asperger's:

As someone with Tourette's,..this is fucking ridiculous. Why do people think that folks with unusual disorders need to be "interpreted"?..These kinds of things only serve to make us seem more like an "other", like outsiders, instead of just regular people leading regular lives. If the goal of this event is to raise awareness, it fails miserably. Rather it makes us look like fucking freaks.

*Nods repeatedly*

• LadyLobo says:

Why cant the person use song, dance, art, anything to communicate his thoughts about Tourette's? Dont regular people with regular lives use to arts to communicate their thoughts. I will give you that the use of the word avant garde may feel inappropriate to you. But isn't also possible that the dancing style they use is modern enough to be advertised as avant garde and not the case that creating a dance piece about Tourette's is avant garde

This is from a poetry slam national competition for youth. This young man has Tourette's. Seems to me he uses it as a way to express his frustration he has internally with the disorder and externally with people not understanding the disorder.

• Arlenna says:

LadyLobo, the difference is Devin told his own story his way. He wasn't somebody else trying to tell the story of having Tourette's so that people could scratch their chinny chin chins about it.

LadyLobo, I do think that the artist in question can and should express her experience with Tourette's as she sees fit. Yet the way this is being portrayed, as Arlenna points out, seems to be speaking about Tourette's in general, and after seeing the videos of the dance, it certainly does not speak for me, and is bordering on offensive, in my opinion.

• Candid Engineer says:

An artistic rendering of hemorrhoids *does* sound far more interesting.