Research Talk

Apr 28 2016 Published by under Uncategorized

So today for my class, rather than having a regular period I decided to give a research talk about some of the research going on in my lab. I think it went pretty well, I gave it at the level that I would to a regular seminar audience (usually grad students, postdocs and faculty) and they appeared to be following quite well based on some of the questions. They should be able to follow if they had been paying attention during the whole semester, since there really wasn't any concept in the talk that we hadn't at least touched upon during the course. For some reason I felt far more nervous giving a research talk to my class rather than to a seminar audience, maybe because if I came off sounding like an idiot I would still have to confront them during the rest of the semester. In any case I don't think I came off sounding like an idiot, and hope that they learned something.

Does anyone else routinely talk about their own research during your classes? Or is this bad form and self-important?

• Zen Faulkes says:

Not routinely, but occasionally. While it has the potential to become pompous, I think the benefits in letting students in on the real research work that is going on around then right now usually makes it worth it.

That was my rationale for doing it. We also have a couple of guest lectures by other faculty, although these aren't necessarily research talks, but most talk about their own work for at least part of the class.

• David says:

I've had professors do variations of this. As a student, I enjoyed it because we got to see a real application of what we were learning.

• AK says:

I teach a lab class and usually have two graduate student assistants. For one of the lectures, the two students present their research to the undergrads. It is always a big hit and the students ask a lot of questions.

I like the idea of having the TAs talk about their research. I have undergrad TAs and most are involved in research, I think the students in the class would enjoy learning from the upperclass students.

• ProdigalAcademic says:

I usually fill the end of the first lecture in my large sophomore intro course with ~10 minutes or so about my research. Nothing much usually gets done after going over course mechanics anyway, and I use it to "preview" concepts we'll be covering. I use a simplified version of seminar slides. The students seem to like it (and it definitely goes better than trying to start course material on the first day!)